<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0756520969\46blogName\75Coloursknits\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLUE\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://coloursknits.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_US\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://coloursknits.blogspot.com/\46vt\0756875636607427448577', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=11913980&amp;blogName=Coloursknits+Gallery&amp;publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&amp;navbarType=TAN&amp;layoutType=CLASSIC&amp;searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Fcoloursknitsgallery.blogspot.com%2Fsearch&amp;blogLocale=en_US&amp;homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcoloursknitsgallery.blogspot.com%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="30px" width="100%" id="navbar-iframe" allowtransparency="true" title="Blogger Navigation and Search"></iframe> <div></div>

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Habu craze

kusha kusha scarf

Before I had my hands on habu yarn, I've heard mixed reviews from a handful of people. And much of it seems to relate to its pattern and not so much about the yarn. During my last visit to stitches, I accidently overheard a brief conversation between two knitters at the habu kiosk. (hehehhe...I wasn't ease dropping, it's just so happen that I was there) Anyways, this lady in black was telling her girlfriend about her experience with the sweater kit she purchased years ago. She said she was very excited about kit when she bought it. As a fairly competent knitter as she claimed herself. She didn't think that she's going to have any problem until she finally cast on the sweater. All those charts and numbers doesnt really make any sense to her. After many hours of trying to decifer the pattern, she said she only managed to knit about two inches. She claimed that the way the pattern is written is just far too complex and confusing. She told her friend, she gave up. And no matter how much she love that sweater, it may never see the light again eventhough it cost her bomb.

After what I heard from the lady in black, I actually felt a bit uneasy. Wasn't sure if I'll will end up like her. But at the same time, I was smitten by all those one of a kind textures and ever so inspiring knit kit habu offers. I have to admit, I'm a total impulse buyer at times. There are many magazines and yarn that I purchased in the past that I felt in love and soon forgotten. Finally after hours of pondering. I picked up a scarf kit and some other habu goodness to try out my luck. Frankly, first impression was like knitting with some dental floss. Felt rather strange switching from an aran weight to such fine yarn (the silk stainless steel and super fine mohair). After playing with it for several nights, I began to get used to its fine gauge. My experience with habu yarn and it's pattern is very positive thus far. So much so, that I ordered another sweater kit and acquired lots of fascinating fibers .

Pattern: Kusha Kusha Scarf kit from Habu Textile
Yarn : Silk Stainless Steel in black & Super Fine Merino Wool in grass green
Needles : various sizes
Cost for this project : $25
Scarf size: Before felting appro 60", after felting appro 40"

Notes about this project...this is a great starter kit if you would like to learn about japanese schematic knitting style. It's a great little project before jumping onto a bigger one. I know it can be intimidating working with such fine yarn, but once you get use to its gauge, I can assure you, it gets a lot easier.

Modications...No mod. I washed and felt it with soap and hot/cold water for about 3-5 minutes. My scarf turned out a little shorter than what I had imagine. So if you like it to be a little longer, you can always add a few more inches before felting. By the way, there are quite a bit of left over yarn from the kit, probably enough for another scarf.

Verdict..love it! It's so organic, so tactile and sculptural like one of the knitter commented. I probably took about 20 shots of the finished scarf. Each and every angle is so unique.

kusha kusha

25 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

It's so beautiful Vanessa. And I see what you mean about its structural, almost architectural beauty. How is it next to your skin though? It doesn't look very soft (stainless steel, yikes)! I'm looking forward to seeing your sweater and hearing about your always thoughtful impressions of it. I've never seen a Habu sweater other in their catalog (which doesn't really give a good sense of what they're like).

March 31, 2007 8:05 PM  
Anonymous Francesca said...

Ah, it's really beautiful. I wish more stores carried Habu yarns.

March 31, 2007 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so beautiful. i love habu items. i love the non-constructive look. i'm just finishing a paper linen jacket. i have to say i didn't really like knitting with the paper linen, but the look and feel of my knitted pieces kept me going! just sewing it up now, so good luck with the linen & silk. love the colors you chose. janet

March 31, 2007 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Nora said...

VANESSA!!!! OH. MY. GOD!

March 31, 2007 8:53 PM  
Blogger handknit168 said...

It is very special and beautiful.

March 31, 2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger AV said...

Vanessa, I think that you and Olga have done it for me: I cannot wait to be able to buy the Habu yarn catalogue and this kit. I never heard anything bad about the yarn nor the pattern write up, only positive remarks.
This scarf is soooo gorgeous; I know I will copycat it from you ;)

April 01, 2007 3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. This looks wonderful. I bought the same kit at Stitches East in October and seeing yours makes me want to finish.
Zoe

April 01, 2007 6:02 AM  
Blogger HPNY Knits said...

it looks stunning in the still life photo! how does it feel when you wear it?

April 01, 2007 10:31 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Looks amazing

April 01, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

It is absolutely fabulous. I want to get the kit right now!

Cannot wait to see your progress on the sweater. It looks very exciting.

April 01, 2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger knottyknitpicks said...

wow, that yarn knits up beautifully.

April 01, 2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger yuvee said...

It is beautiful, I can see what you mean. How does it feel against your skin?

April 02, 2007 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I need another project like I need a hole in the head - but I just may have to make one of these! It's lovely!

April 02, 2007 7:39 AM  
Blogger So Much Fun said...

horray for Habu! those scarves are absolutely lovely!
Nice work!

April 02, 2007 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Lillian said...

This is very very nice, I love it too. I noticed that you were knitting with Habu yarn, and I was keeping busy to search where I can buy those yarn in Canada.
However, there is only one store that sells this brand of yarn.
Where did you buy yours, through a yarn store or online store??
I really want to know. :)
Thanks...

April 02, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger bluey said...

the scarf is so nice. Love the color and texture.

April 02, 2007 6:21 PM  
Anonymous kelp! said...

Your scarf turned out absolutely stunning! I also have that kit, but I'm thinking I need to track down a brighter wool - I love that beautiful green.

April 02, 2007 9:21 PM  
Anonymous nova said...

What a beautiful scarf. I am so curious about the texture of Habu yarn now. I might need to get the kit!

April 03, 2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger mona said...

I think that is sooo beautiful and unusual. Wish I could get my hands on some Habu.

April 03, 2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

beautiful...

April 04, 2007 10:24 PM  
Blogger sue said...

The scarf looks wonderful in that yarn. I looove your bag too, wonderful fabrics. I think I ordered something similar from another blogger, called Poppy in that colorway but she only provides it to australian bloggers I think.

April 07, 2007 11:54 PM  
Blogger Knit said...

Sorry this is not a comment but a quest. I am having a terrible time with the wool stainless it is all tangled on the cone. The end thread unwraps to get caught on a loop of the yarn???? This is terrible . Any ideas , I suppose I must just call Habu.

April 27, 2008 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off... beautiful blog! Discovered you through one of my favourite knitting sites, PurlSoho. And I have just discovered the wonders of Habu online! Very excited about purchasing some wool, and glad that you recommend this scarf for starters. It's what I had in mind. Great photography too!

November 04, 2008 2:35 AM  
Blogger sue said...

抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社,徵信,主機代管,虛擬主機,專屬主機,實體主機,獨立主機,網域申請,網頁空間,推薦虛擬主機,網域,網域註冊

September 10, 2009 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 22, 2009 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home